Odissi dance is a devotional temple dance from Eastern India (Orissa), that dates back over 2,000 years. It is widely praised for its devotional, expressive and feminine qualities. The stepping exercises Choka 1-10 were created by the great Gurus of the Odissi style to build strength, coordination and rhythm sense in dancers. This DVD offers students of Odissi a study tool for practicing stepping in the choka posture. Each stepping exercise is broken down carefully and performed at three speeds. This DVD is filmed on location at Shakti School of Dance (Pushkar , India) within the beautiful Old Rangji temple complex.
- A brief history of Odissi classical dance,
- two prayers used at the beginning of your dance practice,
- Choka 1-10 Stepping Exercises with breakdown of steps into upper body and lower body,
- two bonus chapters on: one handed and two handed mudras as well
- live performance section with various performance clips of Guru Padma Cheran Dehuri’s dance disciple, Colleena.
This DVD is intended to augment, not replace the traditional way in which Odissi dance is learned from a Guru.
Rubrik: Indien, Oriental, Belly Dance, DVD